In which I opine on the Rolling Stone year-end list
Print is dead. I say this mostly because at some point in this year I bought tickets to concerts (no idea which ones!) that somehow led to me getting subscriptions to both Spin and Rolling Stone. Neither of which I want. So… Landfillage. But I might as well have opinions while I’m at it.
This week (or, really, last week, but I was on vacation): Rolling Stone’s 20 best albums and 50 best songs.
The prediction: The #1 album will be Kanye. At least five of the top twenty albums will be from legacy acts. Also, for reasons unknown, Teenage Dream will end up on here.
Top Twenty Albums (or at least the ones I have notes on):
1. Kanye West – Told you.
2. The Black Keys – I’m really amazed at how much love this album is getting. It’s great, but I guess I didn’t realize that they were on the critical radar. I’m all yay!
3. Elton John & Leon Russell – That’s 1.
4. Arcade Fire – This should be higher. It should be highest!
7. Drake – Srsly?
8. Robert Plant – That’s 2.
12. John Mellencamp – I’m making good time on this legacy prediction.
13. Taylor Swift – I guess they’re serious.
18. Kings of Leon – Yayyy.
20. Neil Young – Damnit! That’s only 4.
Top Singles of the Year (that I care about):
1. Kanye West – Runaway
2. Cee Lo Green – Fuck You: I kinda think this was better than Runaway. But no one asked me.
3. Sade – Soldier of Love: Sade is a group. Did you know that? I just found that out.
4. Katy Perry – Teenage Dream: ARE YOU SERIOUS?
5. Arcade Fire – We Used to Wait: THIS IS WORSE THAN TEENAGE DREAM? WHAT IS YOUR DAMAGE? God, I don’t even want to read any more of this.
10. Another Kanye song. I’m out.
Best Videos of 2010, in no particular order
This is actually pretty good list. Beyonce and Gaga’s “Telephone”, Das Racist’s “Who’s That Brown”, OK Go’s “This Too Shall Pass” (the version with the giant Rube Goldberg machine), LCD Soundsystem’s “Drunk Girls”, and Arcade Fire’s fucking breathtaking “We Used to Wait”.
Okay, wait. I just heard on Fuse that Rolling Stone called Taylor Swift the “new Morrissey, but with more eyeliner.” I am done with this project.